Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Of Course It Is Raining Today

This has been one of the hottest and driest summers in East Texas that I remember for awhile. So it comes as no surprise that when we finally think they are going to be able to move in the rest of the house for the shelter, that rain is forecast for the next five days.

I had a dentist who once told me that the Lord sent me to him to teach him patience (dentists are right up there with snakes in my list of things to avoid). Maybe the Lord sent the rain to teach me patience. He knows we need the rain. so I will just enjoy it.

In the meantime, there are plenty of things to do. There is the application to the Food Bank to be able to purchase food at a low price. We will probably need that. Then there is the Income Tax (personal and business) that I have put off--and yes, I did file for an extension. People who expect big returns file in January. People who have to do lots of paperwork to file file later. Then there are donations to sort--always. I am thankful for them, but they do take time and work, and it has to be fit in somewhere. Volunteers help me with that, and I am very thankful for their efforts.

Then there is the listing on Amazon and eBay. We get donations that are not necessities, or even desirable items, especially for homeless folks, because they don't want excess things to carry around. Some of them have a higher value online than in the store, mainly because of the worldwide exposure, so we list those. Did you know that if you list on eBay you can designate the charity of your choice to receive whatever portion of that sale that you designate to receive that portion?  And yes, My Friend's House is one of those charities.

Here is an example of the response we get from some of our supporters. In a casual conversation after church on Sunday (Cumberland Presbyterian, in Marshall) I mentioned that we are low on men's underwear. On Monday, one of the men in that group gave us two sackfuls of new underwear. Thank you, Charles!

Enough for now. Please pray for us, so that we know what the best thing is to do as we work with people.

No comments:

Post a Comment